Friday, November 25, 2011

2000

Big changes were made in 1999. Billboard allowed songs that did not have commercial singles available, as most of them didn’t by this point, to chart on the Hot 100. If that weren’t enough, the Hot 100 also became an all-format chart. Whether they were getting played at pop, R&B, country, rock, easy listening or Latin stations, these were the most played and biggest selling songs in the country. This was great for an all around music enthusiast like me because I could see, for example, how the #1 Country song compared with the #1 Modern Rock song in terms of all around popularity.

On the weekly chart, the top country song was usually somewhere in the 20’s or 30’s and the top 15 or so country songs would be on the chart somewhere. On the year-end chart, country songs start to trickle in in the 80’s. When you get past 100, every other song is country.

Another way this list is different from the lists I’ve posted so far is that Billboard was no longer using playlists and bestsellers submitted by radio stations and record stores to make the Hot 100. Bar code scanners enabled them to have actual unit counts of singles sold, and a company called Broadcast Data Systems could monitor radio airplay 24 hours a day. This gave us a much more accurate chart. It also means that when Billboard assembled their year-end charts, they got to use the collected monitored airplay and sales data from throughout the year, and not just the weekly charts themselves. So for the songs that had their entire chart runs within the chart year, no matter what my point scale says, Billboard is right. I’m only using the scale as a guide to determine where I should position songs with added points from the year before or the year after. And of course, from about #111-150, I’m on my own.

I’m not going to post point totals by the song titles for these later years. The points can be all over the map and wouldn’t make a lot of sense (I will say that #1, named by Billboard in 2008 as the second biggest Hot 100 hit ever, was 298 points ahead of #2. I think “I Gotta Feeling” may have topped it since then). I’ve made the list as accurate as I can, and short of working for Billboard magazine and having access to the information they have, that’s the best I can do. I like to think that any song is only going to be off by a few places at most.

There was a trend at the start of the ‘00’s for a song to be a hit on country radio, fall off the Hot 100 for a few months, then come back at pop radio with a remix. I treat the different versions as different songs. So #s 13, 102 and 108 will be seen here again in other years.

  1. Smooth – Santana feat. Rob Thomas
  2. Breathe – Faith Hill
  3. Kryptonite – 3 Doors Down
  4. Maria Maria – Santana feat. The Product G&B
  5. With Arms Wide Open – Creed
  6. I Wanna Know – Joe
  7. Everything You Want – Vertical Horizon
  8. I Knew I Loved You – Savage Garden
  9. Bent – Matchbox Twenty
  10. Back at One – Brian McKnight
  11. I Need to Know – Marc Anthony
  12. Say My Name – Destiny’s Child
  13. Amazed (pop mix) – Lonestar
  14. He Wasn’t Man Enough – Toni Braxton
  15. Higher – Creed
  16. Try Again – Aaliyah
  17. Jumpin’ Jumpin’ – Destiny’s Child
  18. Music – Madonna
  19. My Love Is Your Love – Whitney Houston
  20. Thong Song – Sisqo
  21. There You Go – Pink
  22. Doesn’t Really Matter – Janet Jackson
  23. What a Girl Wants – Christina Aguilera
  24. Bye Bye Bye – *NSYNC
  25. You Sang to Me – Marc Anthony
  26. Get It On Tonight – Montell Jordan
  27. Incomplete – Sisqo
  28. Bring It All to Me – Blaque
  29. Most Girls – Pink
  30. I Try – Macy Gray
  31. It’s Gonna Be Me – *NSYNC
  32. (Hot S**t) Country Grammar – Nelly
  33. That’s the Way It Is – Celine Dion
  34. Hot Boyz – Missy Elliott
  35. Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely – Backstreet Boys
  36. Back Here – BBMak
  37. Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You) – Christina Aguilera
  38. It Feels So Good – Sonique
  39. No More – Ruff Endz
  40. Absolutely (Story of a Girl) – Nine Days
  41. U Know What’s Up – Donell Jones
  42. Gotta Tell You – Samantha Mumba
  43. Be With You – Enrique Iglesias
  44. I Wanna Love You Forever – Jessica Simpson
  45. All the Small Things – Blink-182
  46. I Turn to You – Christina Aguilera
  47. Then the Morning Comes – Smashmouth
  48. Never Let You Go – Third Eye Blind
  49. I Need You – LeAnn Rimes
  50. Thank God I Found You – Mariah Carey feat. Joe and 98 Degrees
  51. Let’s Get Married – Jagged Edge
  52. Waiting for Tonight – Jennifer Lopez
  53. Blue (Da Ba Dee) – Eiffel 65
  54. Desert Rose – Sting
  55. The Real Slim Shady – Eminem
  56. Wifey – Next
  57. Meet Virginia – Train
  58. Give Me Just One Night (Una Noche) – 98 Degrees
  59. Shape of My Heart – Backstreet Boys
  60. Wonderful – Everclear
  61. Bag Lady – Erykah Badu
  62. Oops!... I Did It Again – Britney Spears
  63. Don’t Think I’m Not – Kandi
  64. Between You and Me – Ja Rule feat. Christina Milian
  65. Shake Ya Ass – Mystikal
  66. Pinch Me – Barenaked Ladies
  67. Take a Picture – Filter
  68. Otherside – Red Hot Chili Peppers
  69. Big Pimpin’ – Jay-Z feat. UGK
  70. Faded – SoulDecision
  71. Purest of Pain (A Puro Dolor) – Son by Four
  72. He Can’t Love U – Jagged Edge
  73. Separated – Avant
  74. Learn to Fly – Foo Fighters
  75. You’re a God – Vertical Horizon
  76. I Wish – Carl Thomas
  77. 24/7 – Kevon Edmonds
  78. Only God Knows Why – Kid Rock
  79. Party Up (Up in Here) – DMX
  80. She Bangs – Ricky Martin
  81. Girl on TV – LFO
  82. Best of Intentions – Travis Tritt
  83. Bounce with Me – Lil Bow Wow feat. Xscape
  84. Big Deal – LeAnne Rimes
  85. Forgot About Dre – Dr. Dre and Eminem
  86. That’s the Way – Jo Dee Messina
  87. Swear It Again – Westlife
  88. Liar – Profyle
  89. The Next Episode – Dr. Dre feat Snoop Dogg
  90. From the Bottom of My Broken Heart – Britney Spears
  91. Crash and Burn – Savage Garden
  92. Yes! – Chad Brock
  93. Hanginaround – Counting Crows
  94. The Best Day – George Strait
  95. Where I Wanna Be – Donell Jones
  96. My Best Friend – Tim McGraw
  97. How Do You Like Me Now ?! – Toby Keith
  98. Broadway – Goo Goo Dolls
  99. Cowboy Take Me Away – Dixie Chicks
  100. Stay the Night – IMx
  101. What’chu Like – Da Brat feat. Tyrese
  102. I Hope You Dance (country version) – Lee Ann Womack
  103. Better Off Alone – Alice Deejay
  104. What About Now – Lonestar
  105. I Like It – Sammie
  106. It’s My Life – Bon Jovi
  107. He Didn’t Have to Be – Brad Paisley
  108. The Way You Love Me (country version) – Faith Hill
  109. I Don’t Wanna – Aaliyah
  110. Got Your Money – Ol’ Dirty Bastard feat. Kelis
  111. Shackles (Praise You) – Mary Mary
  112. When I Said I Do – Clint Black
  113. Falls Apart – Sugar Ray
  114. The Little Girl – John Michael Montgomery
  115. If You Love Me – Mint Condition
  116. Just Be a Man About It – Toni Braxton
  117. What Do You Say – Reba McEntire
  118. It Must Be Love – Alan Jackson
  119. Untitled (How Does It Feel) – D’Angelo
  120. Just Another Day in Paradise – Phil Vassar
  121. Prayin’ for Daylight – Rascal Flatts
  122. Smile – Lonestar
  123. She’s More – Andy Griggs
  124. I Think I’m in Love with You – Jessica Simpson
  125. Go On – George Strait
  126. Shake Your Bon-Bon - Ricky Martin
  127. Wobble Wobble – 504 Boys
  128. Got to Get It – Sisqo feat. Make It Hot
  129. Couldn’t Last a Moment – Collin Raye
  130. Back at One – Mark Wills
  131. Love Is the Only House – Martina McBride
  132. I Will…But – SheDaisy
  133. Buy Me a Rose – Kenny Rogers with Alison Krauss
  134. Who Let the Dogs Out – Baha Men
  135. The Chain of Love – Clay Walker
  136. Lessons Learned – Tracy Lawrence
  137. Dance Tonight – Lucy Pearl
  138. 911 – Wyclef Jean feat. Mary J. Blige
  139. Been There – Clint Black with Steve Wariner
  140. Sexual (Li Da Di) – Amber
  141. Kiss This – Aaron Tippin
  142. Last Resort – Papa Roach
  143. Goodbye Earl – Dixie Chicks
  144. I Wanna Be with You – Mandy Moore
  145. Open My Heart – Yolanda Adams
  146. Carlene – Phil Vassar
  147. Unconditional – Clay Davidson
  148. One Voice – Billy Gilman
  149. Feels Like Love – Vince Gill
  150. The Light – Common

No comments:

Post a Comment