Sunday, March 18, 2012

2003

The Top 150 Hits of… 2003

At this point (after the decline of physical singles but before the rise of digital downloads), the Hot 100 was primarily an airplay chart. For the most part, I’m finding the point scale to be pretty accurate. All of the songs within a general point span are ending up within a few spaces of each other on Billboard’s year-end chart. Except in the few cases in which songs with little airplay were released as CD singles that sold a lot.

Case in point: Three singles spun from American Idol’s second season hit the top 5 in 2003, the biggest being “This Is the Night” by Clay Aiken. It was the year’s only platinum selling single and was #1 for 2 weeks. But it quickly fell down and off the chart. Numerically, it’s about 80 points off from the other songs around it on Billboard’s year-end list. But again, Billboard knows better than I in these later years (see 2000). Ruben Studdard’s hit is only about 20 points off. Still, I wouldn’t have expected “Flying Without Wings” be anywhere near the top 100 of the year, having only been on the chart for 10 weeks, but there it was. I’m telling you all this because, given the above, it’s possible that the American Idol Finalists’ version of “God Bless the USA” should be at the bottom of the top 150 somewhere. Possible. But I don’t have any way of figuring out where, and even if I could, I really can’t bring myself to put it in there.

This was the first of these lists that I’ve done for which I had less than 100 of the songs in iTunes. That could be helped if Ja Rule, Jennifer Lopez, Nelly, and Sean Paul would release greatest hits albums. It’s time, don’t you think?

  1. Unwell – matchbox twenty
  2. In da Club – 50 Cent
  3. Get Low – Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz feat. Yin Yang Twins
  4. Ignition – R. Kelly
  5. Baby Boy - Beyoncé feat. Sean Paul
  6. Lose Yourself – Eminem
  7. Get Busy – Sean Paul
  8. Crazy in Love – Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z
  9. Right Thurr – Chingy
  10. When I’m Gone – 3 Doors Down
  11. Work It – Missy Elliott
  12. Miss You – Aaliyah
  13. The Game of Love – Santana feat. Michelle Branch
  14. Shake Ya Tailfeather – Nelly, P. Diddy& Murphy Lee
  15. Picture – Kid Rock feat. Sheryl Crow or Allison Moorer
  16. Bring Me to Life – Evanescence feat. Paul McCoy
  17. Damn! – YoungBloodz feat. Lil Jon
  18. 21 Questions – 50 Cent feat. Nate Dogg
  19. Beautiful – Christina Aguilera
  20. All I Have – Jennifer Lopez feat. LL Cool J
  21. I Know What You Want – Busta Rhymes & Mariah Carey feat. the Flipmode Squad
  22. I’m with You – Avril Lavigne
  23. Drift Away – Uncle Kracker feat. Dobie Gray
  24. Magic Stick – Lil’ Kim feat. 50 Cent
  25. P.I.M.P. – 50 Cent
  26. Why Don’t You & I – Santana feat. Alex Band or Chad Kroeger
  27. Bump, Bump, Bump – B2K & P. Diddy
  28. Into You – Fabolous feat. Tamia or Ashanti
  29. Landslide – Dixie Chicks
  30. ’03 Bonnie & Clyde – Jay-Z feat. Beyoncé
  31. Don’t Mess with My Man – Nivea feat. Brian & Brandon Casey
  32. Can’t Let You Go – Fabolous feat. Mike Shorey & Lil’ Mo
  33. Mesmerize – Ja Rule feat. Ashanti
  34. Where Is the Love? – Black Eyed Peas
  35. Rock wit U (Awww Baby) – Ashanti
  36. Air Force Ones – Nelly feat. Kyjuan, Ali & Murphy Lee
  37. Holidae In – Chingy feat. Ludacris & Snoop Dogg
  38. Jenny from the Block – Jennifer Lopez feat. Styles & Jadakiss
  39. Cry Me a River – Justin Timberlake
  40. Headstrong – Trapt
  41. How You Gonna Act Like That – Tyrese
  42. Rock Your Body – Justin Timberlake
  43. No Letting Go – Wayne Wonder
  44. Frontin’ – Pharrell feat. Jay-Z
  45. So Gone – Monica
  46. Never Leave You – Uh Ooh, Uh Oooh! – Lumidee
  47. Your Body Is a Wonderland – John Mayer
  48. Beautiful – Snoop Dogg feat. Pharrell & Uncle Charlie Wilson
  49. Love of My Life (An Ode to Hip Hop) – Erykah Badu feat. Common
  50. Gossip Folks – Missy Elliott feat. Ludacris
  51. She Hates Me – Puddle of Mudd
  52. Miss Independent – Kelly Clarkson
  53. Calling All Angels – Train
  54. So Far Away – Staind
  55. This Is the Night – Clay Aiken
  56. In Those Jeans – Ginuwine
  57. Rain on Me – Ashanti
  58. The Remedy (I Won’t Worry) – Jason Mraz
  59. Excuse Me Miss – Jay-Z
  60. Can’t Hold Us Down – Christina Aguilera feat. Lil’ Kim
  61. Are You Happy Now? – Michelle Branch
  62. Forever and for Always – Shania Twain
  63. Harder to Breathe – Maroon 5
  64. I Can – Nas
  65. Wanksta – 50 Cent
  66. If You’re Not the One – Daniel Bedingfield
  67. Thioa Thiong – R. Kelly
  68. My Love Is Like… Wo – Mya
  69. It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere – Alan Jackson & Jimmy Buffet
  70. Like Glue – Sean Paul
  71. My Front Porch Looking In – Lonestar
  72. Angel – Amanda Perez
  73. Don’t Know Why – Norah Jones
  74. 19 Somethin’ – Mark Wills
  75. Don’t Wanna Try – Frankie J
  76. Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop – Young Gunz
  77. The Jump Off – Lil’ Kim feat. Mr. Cheeks
  78. Intuition – Jewel
  79. Hell Yeah – Ginuwine feat. Baby
  80. Beer for My Horses – Toby Keith & Willie Nelson
  81. Fighter – Christina Aguilera
  82. Family Portrait – Pink
  83. Thugz Mansion – 2Pac
  84. Clocks – Coldplay
  85. Put That Woman First – Jaheim
  86. These Days – Rascal Flatts
  87. She’ll Leave You with a Smile – George Strait
  88. Red Dirt Road – Brooks & Dunn
  89. What Was I Thinkin’ – Dierks Bentley
  90. Flying Without Wings – Ruben Studdard
  91. Sing for the Moment – Eminem
  92. Have You Forgotten? – Darryl Worley
  93. I Love This Bar – Toby Keith
  94. No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems – Kenny Chesney
  95. Come Over – Aaliyah
  96. Sick of Being Lonely – Field Mob
  97. I Want You – Thalia feat. Fat Joe
  98. Like a Stone – Audioslave
  99. Who’s Your Daddy – Toby Keith
  100. Fabulous – Jaheim feat. Tha Rayne
  101. Superman – Eminem
  102. Real Good Man – Tim McGraw
  103. Say Yes – Floetry
  104. All the Things She Said – T.A.T.U.
  105. Brokenheartsville – Joe Nichols
  106. Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous – Good Charlotte
  107. Big Star – Kenny Chesney
  108. I Just Wanna Be Mad – Terri Clark
  109. Why Can’t I? – Liz Phair
  110. Disease – matchbox twenty
  111. The Baby – Blake Shelton
  112. Who Wouldn’t Want to Be Me – Keith Urban
  113. (There’s Gotta Be) More to Life – Stacie Orrico
  114. Somewhere I Belong – Linkin Park
  115. Dance with My Father – Luther Vandross
  116. That’d Be Alright – Alan Jackson
  117. Let’s Get Down – Bow Wow feat. Baby
  118. Big Yellow Taxi – Counting Crows feat. Vanessa Carlton
  119. Snake – R. Kelly feat. Cam’ron & Big Tigger
  120. Man to Man – Gary Allan
  121. The Boys of Summer – The Ataris
  122. She’s My Kind of Rain – Tim McGraw
  123. Fall Into Me – Emerson Drive
  124. Celebrity – Brad Paisley
  125. Help Pour Out the Rain (Lacey’s Song) – Buddy Jewell
  126. I Believe – Diamond Rio
  127. I Melt – Rascal Flatts
  128. Three Wooden Crosses – Randy Travis
  129. Never Scared – Bone Crusher feat. Killer Mike & T.I.
  130. Bigger Than My Body – John Mayer
  131. Stay Gone – Jimmy Wayne
  132. Tough Little Boys – Gary Allan
  133. I Should Be … - Dru Hill
  134. You Know You’re Right – Nirvana
  135. Love You Out Loud – Rascal Flatts
  136. Clubbin – Marques Houston feat. Joe Budden & Pied Piper
  137. Stacy’s Mom – Fountains of Wayne
  138. All My Life – Foo Fighters
  139. This One’s for the Girls – Martina McBride
  140. Wave on Wave – Pat Green
  141. Do That… - Baby feat. P. Diddy
  142. 4 Ever – Lil’ Mo feat. Fabolous
  143. Red Rag Top – Tim McGraw
  144. Faint – Linkin Park
  145. Raining on Sunday – Keith Urban
  146. So Yesterday – Hilary Duff
  147. What Would You Do? – The Isley Brothers
  148. Addicted – A Simple Plan
  149. Something – Lasgo
  150. I Wish I Wasn’t – Heather Headley

No comments:

Post a Comment